Friday, May 31, 2013

I'll Show You The Future

Finally Tron Legacy's Joseph Kosinski's new film Oblivion lands in Japanese cinemas. Great job Internet for not having the torrent download for this film so that I can watch this in cinemas! It stars Tom Cruise in his sci-fi mode, Bond girl Olga Kurylenko and the rising star Andrea Riseborough, oh and Morgan Freeman too (his role is so little I almost forgot)! This film is the first of three major summer films that shows a destroyed post-apocalyptic Earth (followed by After Earth and Elysium). It looks great in the trailers, it looks better than After Earth, and it promises Kosinski's flair of visuals. For me, this is a must-watch in cinema. And the soundtrack is done by M83 damnnnnn.

The story is about the two humans stationed on Earth after a big war against an alien race called Scavs. The humans won the war but lost the planet. These two humans, Jack and Victoria are stationed to ensure the that the colony in Saturn's Titan gets water supply from Earth and also killing more Scavs who still remain. However, the truth isn't that simple as Scavs captured Jack and Jack also found a survivor from outer space.

Since it has been 6 weeks since its initial release, I guess it's fine to talk spoilers. I'd like to congratulate Joseph Kosinski on his level upgrade after Tron Legacy. He still has his great knack for visuals and also made his work better. Although mostly Tron Legacy suffers from script problems. But not for the case of Oblivion. This film didn't fall apart in the middle or approaching the end. It builds better thanks to the twists in this film. Tom Cruise is so good here. I like him better here than in his latest Jack Reacher. And don't forget Andrea Riseborough. Damn she's so great in her role. I like her already in Welcome to the Punch and her Hollywood debut is so amazing. She's such a scene stealer and add that with her Brit accent and add that again with her red hair. Looking forward to watching Shadow Dancer soon. Olga Kurylenko is just usual mostly because she got own'd by Riseborough. Morgan Freeman was stealing paycheck because he didn't show up much in this film. There's also the Kingslayer here!

I'd like to be an effective team with you

The story is so good, but maybe it's because I haven't seen proper sci-fi lately. While the first twist is so expected (wife, astronaut), the second twist is unexpected (the clone thing). However, when you think about the story elements, this film borrows so much from Duncan Jones' Moon and some parts of Independence Day (triangle-shaped door and alien base camp in space anyone?). If this film came out years before those sci-fi greats, this would definitely be a great, classic sci-fi. Albeit its story's little drawbacks, the film still manages to be awesome and jaw-dropping with its amazing visuals, set designs and MUSIC! Soundtrack is made by M83 and Joseph Trapanese, while it is somehow quite similar to Daft Punk's Tron Legacy and a little part of Hans Zimmer's TDKRises, it is still a magnificent piece of work. And did I mention the song featuring Susanne Sundfor? That's crazy good. The soundtrack is currently on my playlist. My favorite part of the film is the flashback part during Jack and crew's first mission to the Tet. I watched that part in awe and full of smiles. For me, this film is the third film in 2013 that I watched and I felt so happy and satisfied after watching it. The first two being Olympus Has Fallen and Stoker. Nice sci-fi, looking forward to Kosinski's next, but first of all, I can't wait to watch this amazing piece of work again! Oblivion: rated 3.5/4

[editor's note] in 24 hours, this post has surpassed my most popular post with a wide margin. This one gets 357 hits within 24 hours while my former most popular, Sherlock vs Holmes took one year and four months to get 242 hits. Also for my movie reviews, this tops the highest movie review post, Backstabbers & Schemers--a review on the Korean heist flick The Thieves which got 78 hits. And there I was thinking that this post wouldn't even get 10 hits because of my 6-week-late viewing of the film (June 1, 2013).

The upcoming weeks will be the boring posts, but I think I'll be back with movie reviews mid-June with, hopefully, The Great Gatsby and After Earth, scheduled in Japan June 14 and June 21 respectively. If you're asking why not Man of Steel or even FF6, please blame the Japanese. Until then, ciao.

No comments:

Post a Comment